Pages

Thứ Năm, 29 tháng 8, 2013

Tiny Apartment Hacks, Selling Your Smartphone, and Productive Pooping

This week on the podcast we’re talking about hacking your tiny apartment, making the most on a smartphone sale, and buying parts for your custom PC. We’re also answering your questions about consolidating music libraries, putting speakers in the shower, and toggling the cellular radio on your Android. Plus a bonus tip on using your poop time productively.


How to Listen to This Week’s Episode


Here’s how you can listen to our episode:



News and Top Stories


Questions and Answers



  • Kevin writes, “I recently took a Seagate hard drive out of my Dell laptop, with the intention of making an external hard drive. I bought the enclosure and put the hard drive in, and when I plug the drive into my Windows 7 laptop, the LED light comes on and I feel the drive turning, but the computer does not register. On my old Vista laptop, the drive shows up as Unknown Device in Device Manager. However, the drive does not show up on the Disk Management section, so I can’t format the drive or assign a drive letter. What’s wrong?”


    This sounds like a bad power supply or a bad enclosure to us. Try a different enclosure or power cable and see if that works.




  • Eliezer writes, “We do not yet have speakers throughout our house. Our music collection is also not centralized—it’s on CDs and various devices. What is the easiest and most cost-effective way to listen to music throughout the home, both as far as devices on which to store the music as well as a speaker setup with which to listen?”


    We think AirPlay is the best solution. Buy a couple of cheap used AirPort Express stations (or get some Raspberry Pis) and you’ll be able to stream music from your computers, iPhones, iPads, and even Android devices with AirAudio. If you want to consolidate your music libraries, MediaRover is a good option.




  • “How can I change the radio (2G, 3G, LTE) that my Android phone uses at any given time?”


    It depends on your phone and carrier. Some may have options to change these in Settings > Wireless & Networks or Settings > Mobile Data. Others may require you to download a widget from the Play Store, or root and flash a custom ROM.




  • Luis writes, “I like listening to music while I take a shower, but my cell phone speakers aren’t loud enough and there is no electric outlet in the bathroom to plug in Bluetooth speakers or anything else. I found a shower head with speakers on Amazon, but it was $150. It’s there any way I came make this happen at a good price and does not take up much space?”


    Yes! There are lots of cheap waterproof, battery-powered players. Whitson uses this one.



  • “Are there any methods or ways of Hackintoshing a PC when a DSDT cannot be found for your motherboard?”

    The answer is…maybe. Our recommendation is to check out InsanelyMac and see if anyone has any experience with that motherboard. It won’t be as easy, but it might be doable.


Tips of the Week


Downloads


How Do I Submit a Question?


There are two ways to send in your question:


Please keep your questions as brief as possible. This means about 3-5 sentences for emails and 30-60 seconds for calls and videos. Your questions can be specific, but broader questions are generally better because they’ll apply to more people. For example, “how can I breathe new life into my old PDA?” is much better than “what can I do with an old HP iPAQ 210?” Either way, we look forward to hearing from you!


…read more



Tiny Apartment Hacks, Selling Your Smartphone, and Productive Pooping

Không có nhận xét nào:

Đăng nhận xét